Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Staying fit through winter

By Leah Reid Breyette
From freezing temperatures, gray skies, and snow on every surface, winter is thought by many college students to be the dreariest time of year. Because of this, students may find it much harder to get the right amount of physical activity they need each day in the winter. “During the other seasons, especially summer, I’m always outside playing some sort of sport,” says college student Jon Hoffis. “I don’t feel like I’m actually exercising, just having fun. During the winter, all I want to do is curl up in my warm bed and watch TV all day.” Such is true for many students, which is why, according to the 24-Hour Fitness Organization, they tend to gain weight in the winter- for a variety of reasons.
“It isn’t unusual for college students to gain up to five pounds during the winter season,” says Liz Wentworth, a high school health teacher. “There are a lot of reasons why this happens. Weather is a big part of it- people don’t want to go outside when it’s 24 degrees out. Winter season also means the holidays, which usually end up being six weeks of eating junk food, especially after being away at school for a few months and wanting to enjoy home-cooked food.” Whatever the reason, it is important for students to remember that physical activity is the key to not only avoiding weight gain, but also keeping energy levels and overall well-being intact- which is most at risk in the winter time.
The amount of physical activity needed per day is not as large of a number as some people think. Retired physical education teacher Len Schlacter says the recommended amount is at least twenty minutes per day. “You don’t have to work out like a professional athlete to see healthy results. In the winter, it might be harder to go jogging outdoors, but there are plenty of activities both inside and outside that you can participate in, like skiing, snowboarding, ice-skating, indoor tennis, and of course regular gyms.” Schlacter says he was once a victim of the winter weight gain, too. “For three years during college, I would come home and sit around the house all day, watching TV and eating nonstop. I hated cold weather, so I just stayed inside all the time. I started growing- and it wasn’t upwards. I finally decided join my brothers for a game of hockey one day, and that’s what my break turned into after that. I know how much of a pain it can be, but once you get up and start moving, you have fun.”
The issue of winter weight gain is not a foreign one to students- it just depends on how much action they are willing to take in order to prevent it. Plattsburgh State junior Teri Deyo always makes sure she gets enough physical activity, especially during the winter. “I usually work out on my elliptical or do lunges and lift free weights.” On the other hand, some students choose to have fun while they can and not worry about gaining weight. “I’m only twenty years old- I’ll worry about weight gain when I’m older,” says Brian Harrington, a sophomore. “Right now, I can eat whatever I want and not get fat. I’m definitely going to pig out over break- I’ll go snowboarding once in awhile, but that’s about all the activity I’ll be getting.”
Although gaining weight during the winter is a common obstacle for many students, it is not one that cannot be easily overcome. According to the 24-Hour Fitness Organization, the key is to eat in moderation and keeping your heart rate up at least twenty minutes a day, three times a week- a small price to pay for long-term health benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment